Explore more publications!

US States Sue Trump Administration Over Clean Energy Funding Cuts

(MENAFN) A group of 13 US states, spearheaded by California, filed a lawsuit Wednesday against the administration of Donald Trump, contesting the sudden cancellation of more than $1.2 billion designated for clean energy initiatives.

In a public statement, California Governor Gavin Newsom sharply criticized the move, declaring: "We will not allow (President Donald) Trump to sell out our future to his biggest donors. Trump didn’t just tear up a contract: he defied Congress, jeopardized more than 200,000 good-paying jobs, and robbed billions of dollars in health savings from communities that have been hit the hardest by pollution," Gov. Gavin Newsom said in a statement.

He added: "We’re not letting that stand. California will fight for these jobs, this infrastructure, and the global clean energy competitiveness that the Trump administration has ceded to China,"

The funding in question had previously been approved by Congress under legislation enacted during the presidency of Joe Biden, specifically through the Inflation Reduction Act and the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, both aimed at boosting energy transformation and infrastructure development.

According to the complaint submitted in federal court in Northern California, the administration "illegally" terminated $1.2 billion allocated to a public-private effort focused on producing clean hydrogen using electrolysis technology. An additional $4 million intended to enhance energy efficiency in existing buildings was also halted.

The lawsuit argues that these funding rollbacks reflect a broader pattern of withdrawing support for clean energy programs in states led by Democrats.

California Attorney General Rob Bonta also condemned the decision, stating: "The President is cherry-picking this funding at the expense of hardworking Americans and stifling innovation and the economy for the sake of partisan retribution. My office will continue to hold the President and his administration accountable for breaking the law," he said.

MENAFN19022026000045017640ID1110761163


Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.

Legal Disclaimer:

EIN Presswire provides this news content "as is" without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the author above.

Share us

on your social networks:
AGPs

Get the latest news on this topic.

SIGN UP FOR FREE TODAY

No Thanks

By signing to this email alert, you
agree to our Terms & Conditions